Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Born To Run

I just finished reading Born To Run, which inspired me to start running again, but in a different way. I am blogging about this book through my Pilates blog since I find that a lot of my clients seek my assistance after injuring themselves while running. Commonly, I find these injuries may have been prevented by using proper running techniques, a training program appropriately based for their level and including an exercise program that addressed their muscle imbalances. Christopher McDougall, in Born To Run, proposes that the lack of proper muscle development in the foot is due to the use of highly structured shoes, which may hinder people from running properly and injury-free.

As a Pilates Instructor, I see a lot clients with weak arches and poor balance control while working out barefoot. In fact, one of the first exercises, I will work on with a client is called "footwork," exercises that places the feet in different positions, which works different muscles along the lower extremities. Through this work, I can immediately observe muscle imbalances and compensation in a client and figure out what exercises I will go over during the rest of the session.

I am not sure if barefoot running or running in Vibrams is for everyone, but I think addressing foot strength and improving proper biomechanics could translate to runners moving more efficiently and experiencing less injuries while running.

Pilates and Running Link

1 comment:

Angeles Rios said...

In answer to a question on how to start barefoot running, I would learn from the mistake I did when I first got my pair of vibrams. When I first tried them on, I would walk around in them at work. During this trial period, I allowed my feet and the rest of your body to adjust to the lower heel height and the less built up shoe structure I normally have in my other shoes. Since all went well from there, I started to run. Because I was so excited with the new feel with them and the endorphin rush I get when I run, I made the mistake of running with them for too long a dirt trail At the time, I didn’t feel anything weird, until a week later when started to get pain in my metatarsals. This brought my running practice to a halt and my vibrams were shucked into the closet. From this experience, I would recommend that you please act like you are not a experienced runnner. Act like you just started to run for the first time. Maybe start running with them on a treadmill for no more than a 1/4 mile each time or less. After a week, you can start adding 10% to your milege after a week or two of consistently using them around 3 times a week.